Monday, December 8, 2008

MOUNT RUAPEHU !



My form have just returned from Field Centre at Mount Ruapehu and they were exhausted. There was still a good amount of snow, so I thought I'd share some of the more wintry pictures with you!



Ruapehu, is an active stratovolcano in Tongariro National Park. The last eruption was in October 2006..
It is one of the world's most active volcanoes, along with White Island, where we're going on Boxing Day!
It is also the largest active volcano in New Zealand. I decided not to accompany my form and climb the mountain.. I felt I was needed here!



It's a magnificent view though, as you approach it - you'll recognise it as Mount Doom in the 'Lord of the Rings' film - out of the family, only Jess has climbed it; Sophia's turn is next year!

No comments: