Friday, November 6, 2009

ST HELIER to MISSION BAY



This is probably one of my favourite walks which I've discovered this year. I drive to St Helier,which you can see is a little, palm tree lined, seaside town..





I park next to the tiny Library and walk to Mission Bay (a busy, cafe crowded, vibrant little town) which is a total contrast to St Helier..
Once there, I buy a coffee in one of the many cafes and then walk back to St Helier.







There is a boardwalk all the way along the coast and it goes much further than I've ever managed. My usual walk takes me past three coves and Kohimarama Beach (which means gathering-in-of-light) is the central one and a very quiet, sedate spot, which has the imposing yacht club.







Folk jog, cycle, walk their dogs (and cats) all the way along, and for the whole walk there is an open view of the ocean and all the activities that NZers get up to - the windsurfers, banana boats, skiers, jet boats, even The Spirit of NZ can be seen from the shore sometimes.







It's a beautiful walk and St Helier has been put on my list of quiet, scenic places I would like to live - but within a 15 minute walk of ice-cream parlours, cinema and shops, restaurants and cafes. So, civilization is just around the corner (literally)
It's interesting that St Heliers used to be a horse stud park and was called Glen Orchard - the idea was to provide a horse tram service, but that failed and it became a quiet residential area. No sign of any horses these days!
All along the path there is the ever-present view of Rangitoto, against green manicured lawns or soft white beaches.







Here are some of the photos along the way - an eclectic mixture of housing runs parallel to the coast road, some of them are like dolls' houses and others must cost millions. When I win the lottery I'll be spoiled for choice!











So...when you come to visit I'll take you on the walk!

No comments: